I enjoyed traveling to different places every year. I use the following map to keep track key places that I have visited.
A web site called New7Wonders has asked people to vote for the new 7 wonders of the world from the 21 potential great landmarks. As of July 7, 2007, the results have been announced. As most people will say that these 21 contenders should all be the winners since every place is unique on its own.
Here are some interesting facts about the newly selected wonders:
- Great Wall of China – 4,163 miles in length
- Petra, Jordan – Approximate 9,000 years old, one of the earliest known settlements in the middle East.
- Taj Mahal, India – Used 1,000 elephants to transport building materials in the 17th century.
- Machu Picchu, Peru – 7,710 feet in its elevation.
- Rome’s Colosseum, Italy – Dimension: 157.5 x 617 x 512 (height, length, weight in feet).
- Christ Redeemer, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil– 125-foot tall and takes 220 steps up to the viewing areas.
- Chichen Itza, Mexico – Has 3 sinkholes that provided water on the otherwise arid Yucatan Peninsula, two remains. Established from 10th through the 13th centuries as the center of Mayan society.
For fun and a personal pursuit, I have listed a few of the 21 candidates that I have visited:
|The Acropolis, Greece||The Colosseum, Italy|
|The Eiffel Tower, France||The Great Wall, China|
|Neuschwanstein Castle, Germany|
|The Statue of Christ Redeemer, Brazil|
|The Statue of Liberty, USA||The Sydney Opera House, Australia|
|The Taj Mahal, India|
|The Kiyomizu Temple, Japan|
|The Pyramids of Giza, Egypt (Dec. 2007)|| Petra, Jordan|
|Machu Picchu, Peru|
|Angkor Wat, Cambodia|
(Dec. 2008, Jan. 2019)
|Chichen Itza, Mexico|
|Easter Island, Chile|
|Hagia Sophia, Turkey (Oct. 2019)|
|Alhambra, Grenada, Spain|
The Smithsonian Magazine has listed 28 places to see before you die. Paraphrase from the web site directly, “Whether you visit only a couple of these destinations or all 28, your life will be enriched by the experience. And if along the way you want to gorge on caviar or get a tattoo, that’s entirely up to you.“
(‘+’ indicates place that I have visited)
For more serious travelers, there are 330 places to pursue as defined by the Travelers’ Century Club. There is certainly no short of places to visit in a lift time.